The Good Lobby is a non-profit civic start-up committed to equalizing access to power by enhancing the advocacy capacity of civil society and making responsible corporate influence. To do so, it offers training and consultancy services to NGOs, progressive companies, citizens’ movements and philanthropic organizations. Ultimately, its mission is to help citizens and other organizations to set up ‘good lobbies’, enabling them to balance the undue influence of special interest groups.
We are looking for a Communication Manager, who is:
- A Manager: someone who can lead and coordinate different communication projects at the same time, develop or outsource resources and expertise if needed, solve problems, step in when needed, be hands-on. We are looking for someone with at least 1-2 years of experience. Candidates with less experience who, however, meet most of the other requirements are welcome!
- A Master: someone who is a polished and effective communicator. Someone who understands the importance of brevity and clarity, and the need to make communication both interesting and persuasive to different audiences.
- A Magician: someone able to turn complexity into clarity, into an engaging video, a compelling text, some fascinating images, a well-crafted Instagram carousel, a cool story.
- A Facilitator: someone who aims at being understood, a bridge-builder between different environments (e.g. public, private, civil society sectors).
- A Blogger: someone capable of setting up and running a catchy blog soliciting and contributing citizen-driven stories of social change coming from all over the world.
- A Story Teller: someone able to tell an engaging story about almost anything.
What are the challenges we will propose to you:
- design and continuously refine our communication strategy,
- centralise and supervise all external communications
- support non profits’ communication efforts
In particular, our Manager will be responsible for:
- Directing the communication strategy (from conception and implementation) for all external communication of The Good Lobby (social media, newsletter, blog, website).
- Overseeing the design and execution of online and offline communication, such as: social media, newsletter, website, blog, videos, final reports, booklets, white papers, infographics, images and video editing.
- Supervision of design & printing, merchandise, live coverage during events.
- Supervision of website creation, editing and revision.
- Supervision over the communication budget and cost tracking.
- Monitoring of media outlets and current affairs developments.
- Developing new relationships with media and maintaining the existing ones.
- Community Management (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin & co).
- Measuring analytics and impact.
Skills that will be necessary:
Every master communicator needs some tools!
- You have proven experience in communications and social media;
- You are an experimented social media manager.
- You are proficient using graphic design tools (Adobe, Canva etc) and are able to create graphics, infographics, and engaging visual content (including on powerpoint or similar).
- You are familiar with video editing tools.
- You are knowledgeable about web-design and development, at minimum, we would need someone who can effectively liaise with a developer and who is fully proficient in wordpress.
- As our communication is mainly developed in English, you should be either a native English speaker or proficient at native level.
- You are creative and solutions-oriented.
- You can effectively, consistently and professionally manage the communication of an organisation that is fresh, very busy, growing fast, and working on different projects at the same time. You would need excellent organisational skills and be ready for day-to-day adjustments.
- You know how and when to outsource a product respecting a budget.
- You are a people-person; and
- You have some basic familiarity, or at a minimum, interest in Europe, policy and law and public interest related issues.
- You have experience in EU related campaigning activities in the non-profit sector.
- You can speak and are at ease with different audiences: from NGOs to corporations, from politicians to citizens, from professionals to students.
What we offer:
A 6-months contract under Belgian law for a defined period of time with possibility of renewal depending on funding. The exact starting date is negotiable, but the sooner the better, therefore, you should already have the right to work and live in Belgium.
The work and the well-being of The Good Lobby is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of colour, women, LGBTQIA and persons with disabilities.
How to apply:
Please, send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- your CV
- a cover letter where you tell us about why you are the person we are looking for, maximum 2 pages.
- Samples of your work (please, include what you are proud of in any realm of communication – graphic, video, text, website, social media, campaigning). You can also put links in your cover letter.
With subject line: Communication Manager // Name Surname by January 20, 2021 (included).
When we do not have any vacancies, in case you would still like to share your expertise, please send an email to email@example.com. She will schedule a call with you (do help her, send a reminder multiple times with no worries whatsoever) to see where your interests intersect with our organizational needs. She will also include your profile, including your contact information, in our database – if you are comfortable with it.